Principal Function: The Meter Reader is responsible for reading water consumption meters and recording volume used by residential and commercial consumers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Reads and installs residential and commercial water meters using automated meter-reading equipment.
- Walks or drives over established route and takes readings of consumption.
- Verifies readings to locate abnormal consumption and records reasons for fluctuations.
- Indicates irregularities for necessary action by servicing department.
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections.
- Repairs and maintains meters and collects necessary information for further evaluation as needed.
- Turns service off for nonpayment of charges, or on for new occupants.
- Returns route book to Water Office for billing purposes.
- Assists with ensuring water operations comply with federal and state standards and regulations and Town ordinances.
- Assists with implementing and enforcing backflow program; responds to inquiries regarding installation and testing of backflow preventers.
- Assists with testing and analyzing water quality.
- Assists with general maintenance of Water Department facilities.
- Assists with resident inquiries and initiates action as needed.
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or G.E.D.; and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Valid Class B CDL is desired. Previous experience working in municipal government is preferred.
Work Schedule and Rate of Pay: While the role follows a work schedule of 7AM to 4PM, Monday through Friday, this job may require work beyond these hours which may include weekends, holidays, and on-call status. Frequent in-town travel will be required. $16 – $18/hour.