AWWA-LogoThe American Water Works Association (AWWA) is the world’s largest educational and scientific organization dedicated to the promotion of safe drinking water. The Association’s 60,000 members, including more than 1,200 members in Indiana, work as community water providers, federal and state regulators, environmental-ists, academics and scientists, and reside in all 50 states, Canada and Mexico. Our 4,700 member utilities serve 80 percent of the U.S. population.

The Indiana Section of AWWA:

  • has more than 1,200 members, representing 380 drinking water providers and 340 independent engineers, consultants, water industry suppliers and vendors.
  • is dedicated to keeping its members up-to-date on requirements, regulations and technology in the industry.
  • works to educate the public on the importance of safe and adequate drinking water.
  • hosts an annual conference as well as 10 district mtgs for educational updates and training programs.  
  • has partnered with the Indiana Rural Water Association (IRWA) for additional Operator Boot Camp and Workshops , Security Tabletop Exercises, Facility Specific Operator Training, and Developing Drinking Water Guidance Manuals.
  • sees members as active participants in the State’s rule-making process, contributing time and expertise.
  • regularly works through its Water Utility Council to openly communicate with IDEM, DNR, and the IURC regarding regulatory matters and utility operations.  

In addition, the Indiana Section annually presents scholarships to teachers to develop water-related curriculum  and recognizes outstanding journalists with the Clarity in Reporting Award for accurate coverage of  drinking water issues. The Indiana Section's "Water for People" charitable program also raises donations for improving systems and water quality in third-world countries, and is recognized as one of AWWA  national's most successful chapters.

AWWA stands ready to provide Indiana state and federal legislators with the best information available on the status of drinking water today and the challenges that remain. Whether the issue is water rights, water quality, conservation, infrastructure, source water protection, contaminant listing, health research, or treatment practices, the AWWA has materials and experts ready to assist you. Feel free to contact any of the Water Utility Council members  listed below when your work turns to drinking water issues.

Key Water Facts:

  • Only 1% of the Earth’s water is fresh water available to for consumption. (97% is salt water and 2% is frozen).
  • The U.S. has fresh water resources totaling about 660 trillion gallons.
  • The U.S. withdraws more water from its resources than any other country in the world, roughly 341 billion gallons/day.
  • US EPA estimates the nation-wide funding gap for water infrastructure (comparing needs to existing revenues) at more than $500 billion to maintain the provision of safe high quality drinking water over the next 20 years.
  • Not surprisingly, the U.S. Conference of Mayors surveys show aging water infrastructure as their top water concern.
  • There are 840 community water systems (e.g., municipal water supplies and mobile home parks) in Indiana, which provide about 88% of Hoosiers with their tap water. The remaining 12% are served by nontransient noncommunity water systems (e.g., schools and factories) or transient noncommunity water systems (e.g., churches, restaurants and campgrounds).
  • About 55% of Indiana residents receive drinking water from a ground water supply (nearly 4,300 systems); 45% of Indiana residents receive their drinking water from a surface water supply.
  • Water utilities monitor for more than 100 contaminants on a regular basis.
  • More than 94% of US water utilities are in full compliance with health-based federal regulations annually.


U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Facts About Sustainable Water Infrastructure", 9/29/11; Indiana Department of Environmental Management, Drinking Water Branch