The City of Knox is currently in search of a Water Superintendent. The Water Superintendent is responsible for maintaining a safe, clean, and efficient water treatment and distribution system. The foremost responsibility of the Superintendent is protecting our customers, which are the citizens of Knox, and anyone else who encounters water distributed by the Knox Water Works.
- Knowledge and understanding and implementation of OSHA safety guidelines for the work place. Attend training and train staff on proper safety practices.
- Maintain a safe treatment facility, clean, properly stored chemicals, tools and all equipment kept in safe working condition.
- Safely store all water treatment chemicals.
- Attend and train staff on Chlorine use, storage, handling and emergency plans.
- Responsible for training staff on the proper use of Safety Equipment. Orders and replaces safety equipment and items as needed to maintain a safe work environment.
- Training for confined spaces, trench safety and climbing fall equipment.
- Keep Safety Data Sheets up to date.
- Oversee and make sure all staff and contractors that do any work for the water department, keep themselves safe by following guidelines and using safety equipment properly. Make sure the public is safe by monitoring excavation and work sites, proper barricades and signage in place at all times.
Essential and other important responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Reports to the Board of Works monthly. Long and short-term planning, works with the BOW to prepare for meeting the financial needs, including budgeting for those needs. Oversees staff and finances of the utility. Supervises all Water Works operations and maintenance. Sets and outlines goals and objectives for the Water Department. Oversees the inventory and budget of the Water Works.
Supervises, oversees and is capable of: the installation of water mains, make water line taps; install water services, set meters and meter pits. Repair and replace fire hydrants as required. Install and properly maintain blow-offs, valves, boxes. Flush water mains, exercise valves and service hydrants to maintain a safe water system. Respond to emergencies, line breaks, repair and restore systems as required.
Respond to customer water problems including leaks, low water pressure, meter connects and disconnects, and unusual meter readings. Tactfully respond to request and inquiries from customers of the utility and from the public.
Collect water samples from wells, mains and services for required lab testing. Read and update water distribution maps and as-built plans and blueprints, Update and maintain the GIS program to accurately represent the system. Operate construction equipment and power tools such as but not limited to: dump trucks, back-hoes, tampers, tap machines, pavement saws, cutting torches and welders, efficient with hand tools. Operate hand-held and office computers to enter and retrieve data; prepare written and computerized records and reports; review reports for accuracy. Performs work in emergency situations as required. Train staff to complete tasks safely and efficiently.
Have and maintain the proper licensing for the treatment and distribution system. Maintain a current minimum of DSM and WT3. Keep records and maintain the required documentation for IDEM, EPA, DNR, 1FA and any other required paperwork. Maintain an inventory that will meet the needs of the utility about repairs, chemical treatment of the water and projected future projects. Basic methods, tools, and equipment used in construction, maintenance and repair work.
Perform skilled and semi-skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned. Perform heavy manual labor, particularly as it pertains to the construction, maintenance and repair of water distribution systems. Work in confined areas and in deep trenches, follow trenching and shoring safety standards. Use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, power tools, and other equipment required for the work in a safe and efficient manner. Read and interpret basic maps and blueprints. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Ability to work and lead staff without direct supervision. Settle employee grievances and evaluate employees by setting standards and goals for them.
All interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume via email or mail to:
Mayor Dennis Estok
City of Knox
101 W Washington Street
Knox, Indiana 46534