The Town of Syracuse is seeking a Public Works Superintendent.
The duties of the Public Works Superintendent shall focus primarily on wastewater facility operations, operations of the water plant, and operations of the street departments of the Town.
Performs a wide variety of operating, maintenance and custodial duties. Tasks of the incumbent include, but are not limited to:
- Focus shall be on those jobs necessary, but not limited to, the operation and preventative maintenance of wastewater treatment plants, lift stations, and collection systems, instruments, buildings and grounds.
- Operate and maintain the vehicles used in the water and wastewater facilities.
- Perform and record inspections, tests, and data on the systems” and facilities’ operations.
- Record measurements, verify drawings, and record information for proper record keeping and reporting on the Town’s facilities.
- Prepare reports required by the Town, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission or other jurisdictional entities.
- Collect, analyze, and record water and wastewater samples for regulatory compliance and process control monitoring for proper operation of the systems.
- Meets with customers to discuss and resolve water quality and/or service issues.
- Perform preventative maintenance, emergency repairs and trouble shoot operational problem on equipment and facilities.
- Be reasonably available for overtime work, on call duty and for emergency call-out duty to maintain water and wastewater service continuously to the public.
- Wear and maintain required personal protective equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Performing the duties listed above in a safe manner following IOSHA, USDOT, Town and any other applicable safety related rules and regulations.
- Have technical school advanced study in mechanical, chemical or instrumentation control or equivalent experience.
- Have the technical, academic and physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Be able to readily read, understand and accurately follow operating instructions both written and verbal.
- Demonstrate mathematical ability to perform calculations to determine various ratios, dosages, volumetric calculations that are required for the operation of the Wastewater Treatment Plants and Water Treatment Plants.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate in writing with ability to accurately prepare technical reports.
- Demonstrate reliable performance in previous positions.
- Understand the responsibility to prevent wastewater pollution of area waters.
- Understand computers and the basic operation of database, spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Understand and maintain plant processes through computer controlled equipment.
- Use and understand technical drawings, schematics, and manuals for water and/or wastewater facilities and equipment in order to operate and maintain the facilities.
MUST possess the following licenses:
- A Class WWT-2 Public Wastewater Treatment Operator license issued by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management along with experience in monitoring non-delegated industrial pretreatment and a Class WT-3 Water Treatment Operator licenses and a DFL (Distribution Large) license issued by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management or the ability to obtain the required licenses within twelve (12) months.
- Valid Indiana driver’s license.
Correspondence may be submitted by email to email@example.com or mail to: Henry DeJulia, Town Manager, 310 N. Huntington Street, Syracuse, Indiana 46567. Syracuse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please list your salary requirements.