The Speedway Water Department is seeking a part-time Meter Reader.
General Purpose – Performs a variety of physical, skilled, technical, and maintenance work in the reading and maintaining of the industrial, commercial, and residential meters throughout the town.
Supervision Received – Works under the direct supervision of the Water Superintendent / Assistant Superintendent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The meter reader’s primary mission is to ensure that accurate reads are obtained for each active account’s meter and to report those reads to the utility billing manager each month by the due date.
- Read meters via radio reads, touch pads, and manual reads and record the readings in the handheld device. Record as a skip any meter that was not readable into the handheld device.
- Collect skip code reads generated from the handheld device.
- Notice problems with the meter, the setting, leaks, pits, pit lids, pit nuts, etc. and enter trouble codes into the handheld device.
- Periodically read inactive meters to ensure water is not being used without an active account.
- Communication with customers.
- Submits daily written reports to the Superintendent documenting the activities of each day.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and requirements.
Desired Minimum Qualifications– To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent, and
- Experience relating to: meter reading, maintenance and repair, computer usage.
- Any equivalent combination or education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The ability to read and understand equipment operation and maintenance manuals, test methods, sampling instructions, MSDSs, and regulations.
- The ability to perform simple algebraic and geometry problems.
- Must possess the ability to organize, communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with employees, other departments, as well as the general public.
- Must have valid state driver’s license.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions, and knowledge of Risk Management Program.
Tools and Equipment Used – Operating knowledge and use of motorized vehicles and equipment, including but not limited to: pickup trucks, utility trucks, phones.
Physical Demands – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to manipulate, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works in outside weather conditions. The employee usually works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud in field settings, and moderately quiet in office settings.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interviews and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and it is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply, submit your resume to speedway Water Works, 1450 N. Lynhurst Drive, Speedway, IN 46224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.