The Columbus City Utilities, Business Department, is seeking a Lead Accountant.
General Summary: Responsibilities include maintaining and balancing all general ledge activities for the Columbus City Utilities. The Accounting Clerk and the Accounts Payable Clerk both give reports to this position.
- Record all financial activity in the financial system.
- Balancing of all accounts and sub legers – monthly.
- Bank reconciliation – monthly.
- All tax reporting: sales tax, utility receipts tax, etc.
- Maintain fixed asset ledger, including depreciation.
- Match G/L inventory to stock listings.
- Work with Clerk Treasurer and verify transactions.
- Assist State Board of Accounts during an audit.
- Ability to manage multiple duties and successfully prioritize.
- Ability to work well with employees and encourage cooperation and efficiency.
Education and/or Qualifications: Must have a four year accounting/business degree from an accredited university. Minimum 3 years of accounting experience desired. Specific experience in government (accrual) or utility finances (bonds) will be considered a plus.
Licenses or Certifications: Must have a valid Indiana Driver’s License and maintain it at all times. Must have a good driving record, sufficient to be covered by city insurance as a driver while on duty.
Supervisory Responsibility: Accounting Personnel.
Relationship Responsibility: Ability to work with employees and encourage cooperation and efficiency.
Remarks: Must reside in Bartholomew County or an adjoining county within six (6) months of employment. This position is subject to the City’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Program which includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing and follow-up testing.
Note: This job description is intended to provide a general overview of typical general duties as well as the complexity of the work to be performed by this staff member. It is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or specific tasks required of this person.
Reports to: Manager of Finance & Business Operations
Salary Range: Minimum $42,000 Maximum $48,000
Working Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Full time, non-exempt.
Applications can be picked up in the Personnel Office at Columbus City Hall, 123 Washington Street, Columbus, IN 47201 or obtained online at www.columbus.in.gov on the Career Link. Application deadline is 10/13/2017.