The Indiana Department of Environmental Management is looking to fill an Environmental Manager 2 position in the Field Inspection Section of the Drinking Water Branch in the Office of Water Quality at the Northern Regional Office in South Bend, Indiana. This candidate performs duties to ensure drinking water is safe by conducting routine sanitary survey inspections according to U.S. EPA requirements. Candidate responds to emergencies where contaminants are at unacceptable levels at public water supplies.
Job Opening ID 621373
A day in the life:
- Investigating consumer complaints, providing technical assistance, preparing reports, locating new well site locations and assisting with sample collection.
- Responsible for inspections covering new stricter rules for: water treatment and distribution systems to prevent water-borne disease outbreaks through the Revised Total Coliform Rule.
- Ensuring that the public water systems are operated in a manner that protects public health and provides water that is suitable in both quality and quantity for normal domestic use by Indiana’s citizens.
- Candidate must continually learn new rules in order to ensure that water systems are operating properly and are provided appropriate technical assistance.
- In addition to all of the initiatives and treatment rules, security issues are a new critical activity for inspectors and water systems.
- Serve as the first contact and must work closely with the Drinking Water Branch, water systems and authorities to mitigate any potential security issues.
What we’re looking for:
- Five (5) years work experience in an environmental or environmental public health field or accredited college training in a related field.
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes:
- Choose from four medical plans (including RX coverage), vision and dental
- Wellness program that offers eligibility into a discounted medical plan
- Health savings account, offered for most medical plans, includes state contributions
- Deferred compensation account (similar to a private sector’s 401 K plan) with employer match, as well as a choice between two fully funded pension plans
- Group life insurance
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time off
- The State of Indiana offers other generous leave policies covering a variety of employee needs.
- New Parent Leave
- 12 company paid holidays, 14 on election years
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- FREE Downtown parking
- Want the specifics? Explore the Benefits of Working in State Government!
For more information and to apply, please visit the State of Indiana’s website (www.in.gov/spd/2333.htm). Click on “Apply for State Jobs”. Select “Advanced Search” and enter the job ID # in the “Job Opening ID # only” box and hit “Search”.
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.